Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Top 10 Movie Quotes of All Time and What They Mean to Me

My mother was the most avid movie fan that I have ever met. She took us to the movies every single Sunday afternoon, and sometimes Saturdays as well. When we had cable installed in the late 1970's, we would get up every Saturday morning and watch WTBS, where they ran old movies. This is where I was first introduced to Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Humphrey Bogart, and my favorite Gregory Peck. It is true that they don't write them like they used to, as I had trouble narrowing down my list to just a top ten.

Here goes!

10.) "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"

What movie quote list would be complete without this classic, used originally of course by Clarke Gable as Rhett Butler in Gone With the Wind. Though most kids today have no idea where this line is from (and the explicative is often more colorful), this is a true classic movie quote.
9.) "Run Forest!"

This is just a great line from the movie Forest Gump. Though everyone in the movie said it except Tom Hanks, he will always be remembered for it. A friend of mine bought a hamster that was obsessed with running on his wheel, so she named him Forest and taught her kids to cheer lead him.

8.) "Say hello to my little friend!"

Screamed by Al Pacino in the movie Scarface. This was the way I always introduced my Pomeranian puppy, rest her soul. It was a perfect fit for her huge personality.

7.) "...or do you want to just suck-face?"

This obscure movie quote is one of Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond. The entire movie is delivered in such a heartwarming way that you have no choice but to watch it again and again. It never really caught on, but was the beginning of the whole "gag me with a spoon" California Kid speak.

6.) "Good work, get some sleep, I'll most likely kill you in the morning."

From The Princess Bride movie, this was told to Wesley the farm boy every night before he went to bed by the Dread Pirate Roberts. Said in such an offhand way, it makes me chuckle every time I think it. This movie quote runs through my head every time I tell someone they did a good job.

5.) "You keep thinkin', Butch."

Now we are getting to the good stuff! This is such a great quote from Robert Redford in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I was a bartender at a small neighborhood tavern and every time someone would come up with an outrageous plan for something, the entire group would yell, "You keep thinkin', Butch!"

4.) "Heeeere's Johnny!"

I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or scream when Jack Nicholson sneered through the bathroom door and said this with such maniacal glee in The Shining. It still gives me chills.

3.) "I'll get you my pretty... and your little dog too!"

Working with dogs and kids in some capacity, this memorable movie quote comes up all the time even today. From The Wizard of Oz this one will live on forever.

2.) "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

From the movie Cool Hand Luke, this quote was rampant in the school system when I was growing up. It always brings back memories of the principals office.

1.) "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

This is my favorite all time movie quote, from Peter Finch in Network. If you have not seen this movie, now is the time. It is a little eerie how close to real life this movie has become. It focuses on the trials of a major network executive struggling with the onset of reality television.

There you have my Top Ten Movie Quote List. With hundreds of thousands of movies at our finger tips, these old favorites still live strong for me.

What are your favorite movie quotes of all time? Leave me a message in the comments down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment