Pages

Monday, July 28, 2014

My Picks for Best Elton John Songs

I've been an Elton John fan since the summer of 1984. We saw his summer concert promoting "Breaking Hearts" and I have been hooked ever since. I love everything from his gospel tunes to his pop hits. These are my picks for the best Elton John songs ever recorded.

"Madman Across the Water" album Madman Across the Water
This is my number one pick for best Elton John songs. I love the haunting melody and sheer madness in his voice and the music. Think you don't like Elton's music? Try listening to this song cranked up with full strings and orchestra. It may sound lame. It's anything but!


"Blue Eyes" album Love Songs
This song probably won't make any other top ten list of Elton John songs. It's a sentimental favorite of mine. I caught my mom slow dancing to it while dusting the apartment one Sunday morning. The slow bluesy sounds moving her around like she was 20 again. She passed away not long after.

"Burn Down the Mission" album Tumbleweed Connection
This is another blues/gospel song that got the crowd going at a later concert I attended. Just when I thought I was the only one who knew about this little gem! I think this song just fits Sir Elton's voice, and of course Bernie Taupin's lyrics are spot on as always.

"Grey Seal" album Good-bye Yellow Brick Road
This was the hit album for Elton John and Bernie Taupin that became a cult classic. He only whips it out at concerts now and then, but when he does it always brings the house down. It's one of the few up tempo songs that I really like by him.

"Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" album Good-bye Yellow Brick Road
I told you it was a great album. This is a great song for those that truly love the sound of music. Like a mini rock opera it starts out slow and leads us to a fevered pace before explaining itself.

"Razor Face" album Madman Across the Water
I don't know why this song reminds me of my father. Not in a great way, but not in a bad way either. It's just sort of there for me. I really enjoy Elton's deeper vocals and this song brings them out.

"Border Song" album Elton John
This was the first album I purchased after the concert in 1984. I wanted to start at the beginning. This song grabbed me like the gospel straight out of church. I love the chorus and everything about the song.

"Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" album Blue Moves
Talk about  a true statement. This song was my anthem in the 80's. Crying myself to sleep, waiting for the phone to ring. It really is absurd that "sorry seems to be the hardest word".

"Skyline Pigeon" album Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player
Just when I thought this was another glam pop pseudo music album rammed onto the radio, I gave this song a serious listen. It's amazing! Close your eyes, lean back and let this song take you on a magic ride.

"I've Seen That Movie Too" album Good-bye Yellow Brick Road
I could not resist. This song is my guilty pleasure song. I used to love to think of it when I would catch one particular boyfriend in a lie. He was just so bad at lying! Anyway, it made me laugh instead of cry, and I eventually kicked him to the curb.

That's my list of best Elton John songs. I can't believe I picked ten that quickly. These are actually in no particular order and subject to change at any time. My love of his songs changes daily. I put Elton into my Pandora site and listen away the day.

What are your favorite Elton John songs? Are you a fan of his pop style or his more serious stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment