Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

I'm Taking a WordPress Course

I signed up for a WordPress for Beginners course in our local continuing ed. courses. It meets for three Mondays in a row. It only cost $40 so I went for it. My therapist and psychiatrist are thrilled with the fact that I’m stepping out into the public for something… anything.

I must say that I’m very glad I’ve worked a little with WordPress in the past. If not, I’d be completely lost. She is covering the information very quickly for beginners. We have one lady that is having real problems. I feel bad for her.

Next week is the last week, and the teacher says we have a lot more to cover. I’ve not even had time to take any notes. We go so fast just working on our practice site.
I’m really hoping I don’t go blank when I try to start my own site. I’m more worried about the install process than I am about setting up the blog design or template. Of course, we haven’t covered any of the installation process. (I’m talking about the initial install from your hosting company.)

Now I’m in the process of choosing a hosting company. I really don’t want to host through GoDaddy because they are so expensive. I’m thinking of going through NameCheap.com, but I don’t know for sure yet.

I suppose I’m getting ahead of myself anyway. I have no idea what kind of site or blog I want yet. So I know I have all of that layout planning to do, and all of the important decisions to make.

Just thinking about all the planning that goes into starting your own website is a little overwhelming. I’ve been blogging for a long time on free sites like Blogger, and I enjoy it, but I think it’s time to try and get serious about it.

I’ve been online for over seven years, but so much is constantly changing it feels like I’m starting all over again. At least I know about Adsense, affiliate marketing, keywords, and analytics. At least the basics of those things.

I still feel like such a newb all of a sudden. Hopefully I’ll feel a little more confident once I make some of the decisions about the site and lay it out on paper. That’s a huge job in itself. There are so many subjects out there to write about. I have blogs on nearly every subject I already know about. Hmm, this is gonna take some thought.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve been up to lately. How about you? Any good thoughts on WordPress? Any new cool free plug-ins? Let us know in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment